Location: London or Kitchener
Full-time or part-time
Highview Residences is a retirement home, which offers specialized care for people with dementia. Our residents are Living with Dementia and we Promise to meet them in Each Moment – By Design – With Love. The ideal candidate will be a positive, team oriented, flexible person who puts the needs of the residents first. Note: this is not a high-rise building or typical “facility”. Highview Residences consists of two large, bungalow-style homes on one site, with 26 and 28 residents in each.
Reports to: Care Coordinator of Highview Residences by location
To uphold and enrich with excellence Highview Residences’ commitment to:
- Provide a nurturing community where residents feel valued, respected, and loved.
- Encourage, support, and understand the individual needs of each resident so they may experience a sense of accomplishment daily.
- Demonstrate excellence in exhibiting the conduct and fulfilling the expectations of an “Associate of Highview”, as stated in the Associates’ Handbook.
- Collaborate with other members of the Highview team to ensure the highest level of service and care are provided to residents and their families.
- Act as Registered Leader and resource in house every shift and for the site if the overnight nurse.
Key Attributes and Qualifications
To be successful as a Highview Residences’ Registered Nurse or Registered Practical Nurse, an individual must have the following combination of attributes and qualifications:
- One year minimum experience caring for the health needs of the population served including Alzheimer’s disease and related Dementias as well as Geriatrics, with an emphasis on providing resident-focused Nursing care and medication administration.
- Possess a Baccalaureate degree in Nursing or have completed an accredited Registered Practical Nurse program, and must be registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) and be in good standing.
- Absolute commitment to and promotion of the belief that people with Alzheimer’s disease and related Dementia can live meaningful lives surrounded by people who are devoted to their well-being, security and care.
- Ability to adapt to frequently changing and challenging situations, providing leadership on-shift.
- Excellent communication, and team-building skills.
- Personal resilience, time management and critical thinking skills.
- Consistent ability to respect and positively contribute to a multi-disciplinary, multi-task team environment.
- An understanding of Alzheimer’s disease and related Dementia.
- Ability to ensure a meaningful lifestyle and quality of care for residents.
- Safe administration of medications to residents.
- Provision of timely and comprehensive resident care including dressing changes, assessment of vital signs, assessment of residents’ needs, and monitoring of residents’ medical status.
- Care Plan development, implementation and updates.
- Communication with family members, as required.
- Plan and administer and assess effectiveness of any scheduled treatments.
- Interact effectively with residents and family members to successfully resolve concerns and issues, as required.
- Act as a role model, mentor, and Registered Leader for Associates on shift.
- Demonstrate conflict resolution and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills including both verbal and written.
- Appropriate, timely (shift) and complete documentation in MED-ecare (electronic documentation system) including eMAR, eNotes, eAssessments and ePlan as per Highview and CNO standards.
- Receive and provide thorough hand-off communication from shift to shift.
- Assess physical health of residents and use clinical judgement to determine need to send to hospital as appropriate.
- Shift replacement for day shift as needed following Highview’s Policy for replacing shifts.
- Process and implement all Physician orders.
- Communicate with the Pharmacy as needed.
- Manage medication reorders and delivery of medications from Pharmacy.
- Check medication strips on day received so they are available as needed.
- Ensure there are “eyes on” residents AT ALL TIMES; be aware of who is in house and be astute to identifying residents who may wander and knowing where they are.
- Greet and engage with visiting family members and friends; you are always representing Highview.
Job Types: Full-time/Part-time
Salary: From $30.92 per hour
How to apply:
For a position in London, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a position in Kitchener, email email@example.com.
Put RN/RPN in the subject line.